Sunday, July 28, 2013

Figjam

I swear, it sounds like a band's name, doesn't it?  Figjam.  I would think a nice blues band.  Well, it's not.  It's what I spent all day Saturday doing.



Do you see this tree?  The large one right in the middle?  The one that is taller than the house?  Yes, that one.  It's a fig tree.  We trimmed the tree way back when we moved in, but it STILL looks like this.  And it is FULL of figs.


Some of them have ripened, but just a few.  A small few, but enough of them that they require attention.  I made about 15 loaves of various types of fig bread, and decided to try something different.  First, I washed and cut them.



Put 4 pounds of figs (yes, 4 pounds!) in a pan with sugar, honey, fresh lemon juice and lemon zest.  Cooked it down until it was thick.



Filled some half-pint jars with the jam.  Aren't they cute?  11 half pints of jam.  What am I going to do with 11 pints of jam?  I guess a better questions is what am I going to do with the other 400+ pounds of figs on the tree, ready to explode with juicy ripeness just any day now?  I guess you will have to wait and see!  In the mean time.  Would you like some jam?

No comments: