Wednesday, January 12, 2011

NYC--Phase II

I left off last post at Kelly's house Friday night. We returned home late from her parent's house, and were soon off to bed. Unfortunately, my peaceful slumber never came. It was, instead, interrupted by a nasty stomach bug that had me up several times in the night hurling up pizza guts. The worst part, is that I was still queasy when we left Kelly's house to head to the airport. I could only hope that the queasiness would dissipate quickly. I was wrong.

I settled into the back seat, and attempted to NOT think about being in an airplane, and being nauseous. As one might expect, I was unsuccessful.

When we arrived at the border crossing, Kelly dutifully handed our passports over to the crossing guard who had 1 questions, "Where do you know each other from?" We found out rather quickly that "we're friends" is NOT an appropriate answer. In my feverish state, I think I remember him reaching for a gun, but I've been informed that I was mistaken. He simply asked, more sternly, "WHERE. DO. YOU. KNOW. EACH. OTHER. FROM?" When Kelly replied "through our dogs", this answer satisfied him and we were off. (I think he was probably just a wee bit bitchy about working the border at 5 am, but I could be mistaken.)

We made it to the airport, onto the plane, to NYC, and to the hotel without incident. At this point, Gene encouraged me to curl up on the bed and take a nap. However, in my weakened condition, I felt it was best to keep moving- for if I were to lay down, I likely would not move the rest of the trip. I was determined to push on.

First on our list was the statue of liberty. It had not occured to me, when making my decision, that seeing this beauty would require an airplane, a NY taxi driver ride, a subway ride, a ferry, and 3 miles of walking. NOT the best option for someone with a stomach ailment.

I was a little shocked when I first saw her, and knew my fever had spiked. This is NOT how she looked in all those photos I've seen!


I also don't remember her pointing at me, and I certainly thought she was bigger! I was MUCH relieved to find out that the above masculine creature was NOT the statue I had traveled so far to see!

This is more like it!



In the original of this photo, Lady Liberty and I share a similar skin tone. Photoshop made me look happy, and healthy. And, yes, she IS as tall as I thought she would be!


After a second ferry ride with a hot dog vendor directly behind us, and another 3 mile hike back to the hotel, it was definately time for a nap. Gene and I both settled in, and slept for several hours. As I had feared earlier, I would not rise from this spot the remainder of the day. Since Gene's NYC bucket list included Rockefeller Center at night, I encouraged him to go and enjoy without me- just take plenty of pictures so I could live it vicariously through photos. He obliged, and I've only posted a few of them here!
This is the *The* Christmas Tree.


TWO Tickle me Elmos..in ONE block? I think this is one of the 7 signs!


More Christmas trees and lights.


Red Christmas Trees!


He also took a stroll through Time's Square.




The Hershey's Store.........


Right across the street from the M&M's store.



Sunday morning greeted me with more strength, and less queasiness. I was determined to make use of what little time we had left. After a breakfast of 3 bites of a bacon/egg/cheese biscuit, we were off to Ground Zero.

As we walked around the ginormous hole in the ground left by those B*stards, we came across this memorial

on the side of THIS fire station. I knew that Ladder Co. #10 was close, but I had no idea that they are, literally, on the opposite side of the street.



Next, it was off to do some shopping. We first went by Saks, but based on the line outside- we figured they were doing credit checks to see if you were even ALLOWED inside the doors. We opted to take a photo--and move on.

Next was FAO Schwartz.
No credit check required--just a high credit limit!

When we stopped at one intersection, and found a ferrari dealership on one corner

and a Maybach dealership on the other corner

We knew we were here:


And, if you've ever spent more than, say, 5 minutes in NYC--this sign is funny. If you've spent the night at a hotel NOT on Park Avenue, but just around the corner from Broadway? It's hysterical.
One of the lovely churches we came across--right in the middle of mass, so we thought it might be a *little* inappropriate to go inside and take photos.

Another of the lovely churches.



Gene got a Chicken Gyro from a street vendor for lunch. I opted for....a Mountain Dew.

We had our lunch right by the Fox News studios. If we had hit this area earlier, we could have been one of those nerds outside, waving at the camera.

The Hershey store in the daylight.

And, the M&M's store. (Which, I might add, was NOT open on Sunday- although the Hershey store was.)

Ah, one of the most elusive creatures in NYC, captured on film. Sightings are few and fleeting, so I wanted to document this one. What am I referring to? The purse vendor, of course! Most of the purse vendors we saw had their loot in a bed sheet slung over their backs like Santa. They would display the loot briefly, always ready to gather the sheet and make a run for it.

And, a last bit of humor I found. There was a private drive on one of the streets that we had to hike to/from the subway station. Evidently, this is how these types of disputes are handled.

All in all, it was a pretty good trip! I hope that we will be able to go again, but this time spend longer, and have zero illness while there.

No comments: